Do you suspect you have carpal tunnel syndrome? If you’re tired of aching wrists and limited hand movement, our Omaha chiropractor at Chiropractic Health Clinic can help. Get answers to the most common questions about carpal tunnel to help you understand what treatment to seek for this condition.
What is carpal tunnel?
The carpal tunnel is a small passageway of bones and ligaments that protect the median nerve and several tendons running through your wrist. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when this tunnel is irritated or injured. As a result, the bones move out of alignment or the ligaments swell, both of which place pressure on the median nerve, causing wrist discomfort.
What causes carpal tunnel?
Many different factors can cause carpal tunnel swelling, including:
- Making repetitive movements with your hands and wrists while golfing, playing tennis or typing on a computer
- Health problems such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or hypothyroidism
- Injuries to the wrist such as a dislocation or fracture
- The presence of a cyst or tumor in the carpal tunnel
What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel?
Carpal tunnel syndrome manifests as a collection of symptoms, which often appear gradually and increase in intensity as time goes by. At first, you may only experience symptoms while participating in repetitive hand and wrist activities known to cause carpal tunnel syndrome. As the condition progresses, you may feel discomfort throughout the day and awake from pain at night.
The specific symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- Sharp, shooting wrist pain
- Deep, achy wrist pain
- Throbbing, swollen or inflamed hands and wrists
- Tingling or numbness in your hands
- Inability to grip objects
- Decreased range of motion in your hands and wrists
- Urge to shake your hands to reduce symptoms
How does Our Omaha chiropractor treat carpal tunnel?
Receiving care from our chiropractor in Omaha can provide the relief you need from your carpal tunnel syndrome. We recommend a combination of treatments:
- Careful wrist manipulation can help reduce inflammation, especially when caused by lifestyle triggers. We can also address these triggers to help keep symptoms at bay when participating in activities that flare up your carpal tunnel.
- Wrist exercises strengthen and stretch your muscles so you can continue your active lifestyle.
- A diet evaluation and changes recommended by our chiropractor ensure your body is getting the nutrients it needs for health and strength.
- Icing your wrist for 10 to 15 minutes once or twice a day helps keep inflammation down.
- Wearing a wrist splint at night takes the pressure off your median nerve so you can get a good night’s rest.
As you continue with chiropractic care and other holistic approaches, you may find your symptoms all but disappear. Surgery is a rarity when you count on our chiropractor in Omaha for holistic carpal tunnel syndrome treatment.